Last updated: Friday 11th February, 2021
Lawyher.pk (hereinafter the “Website”) is a digital platform created in 2020 under ‘increasing women’s representation in law project by Ministry of Law and Justice, Group Development Pakistan and Women in Law Initiative Pakistan with support from the Australian High Commission and British High Commission. Our website provides information about female practitioners, their interviews and stories as well as their historic contributions to rule of law, to gender parity in the profession and for access to justice. It features news and updates, information desk, journals, blogs, photos, videos, infographics, publications and other resources. It also promotes work, educational and other opportunities and features segments on our flagship women in law awards as well as the symposium. It also has an interface for users to connect to female practitioners and a discussion forum accessible only to registered female Members.
All references in the Terms, unless stated otherwise, shall be strictly subject to, and construed in accordance with the following definitions;
- “Content” means all data, material, documents, news, photos, videos, publications, articles, graphs, tables, numbers, posts, comments or any other information or resources uploaded or provided to the Website by Members, Practitioners or Users;
- “Member” means a female practitioner, academic, graduate, student, in-house counsel, or other legal professional registered with lawyher.pk, whose application has been approved by Lawyher.pk with access to the discussion forum;
- “Lawyher.pk”, “Us”, “We”, “Our” means its domain owner, operator, successors or assignees;
- “Login Information” means the unique Username and Password chosen by a Member when registering or modified thereafter by the Member;
- “Practitioner” means any female practitioner, academic, researcher, graduate, in-house counsel, trainer, barrister or other legal professional who has created a public profile on the website but who may or may not necessarily be a Member with access to the discussion forum;
- “Partners” means Parties to the MOU of Increasing Women’s Representation in Law Project signed on 03-09-2020 or such other partners, collaborators, patrons, sponsors or other individuals, collectives or entities who may join us or have an understanding with us from time to time to support and/or sponsor Lawyher.pk and its present or future endeavours;
- “Services” mean any services provided by Lawyher.pk in connection to the Website;
- “User” means any person who navigates the Website or uses its Services and/or contributes to or accesses its Content and may include Members and Practitioners when they use or access the Website;
- “Website” means Lawyher.pk website available at lawyher.pk and its domain owner, operator, successors or assignees (all references to the Website also include first person references including, but not limited to, “Us”, “We”, “Our” etc.).
BEFORE USING THIS WEBSITE, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS CAREFULLY.
- The Website is comprised of various webpages operated by Lawyher.pk. The User may navigate the Website conditional upon the User’s acceptance without modification of the present Terms. The User’s use of the Website constitutes the User’s agreement to all Terms and supersedes any prior agreements, whether written or oral.
- Members and Practitioners agree that no partnership, employment or agency relationship exists between them and Lawyher.pk as a result of these Terms, Membership or the use of the Website.
- The Website, these Terms and all related documents are in English, and communications are mainly in English. However, Content may be posted in other languages.
- Modification of these Terms
Lawyher.pk may revise these Terms at any time and from time to time in its sole discretion. The revised Terms shall be publicly displayed whether through electronic means or otherwise. The revised or amended Terms shall be effective upon posting.
If any provision of these Terms is determined to be invalid or unenforceable in part or in whole pursuant to applicable law, then the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed superseded by a valid and enforceable provision that most closely matches the intent of the original provision, and the remainder of the Terms shall continue to be in effect.
- Access Restriction
Use of the Website is not authorised in any jurisdiction that does not give full effect to the provisions of these Terms.
In the event a Member, Practitioner or User fails to comply with these Terms, Lawyher.pk shall have the right to terminate such Member’s, Practitioner’s or User’s access to the Website.
- No Unlawful or Prohibited Use
Members, Practitioners and Users warrant and agree that, while using the Website and the services, features and functionalities offered on or through the Website, they shall not, without limitation:
- Use the Website for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these Terms;
- Use the Website in any manner which could damage, disable, overburden, or impair it or interfere with any other party’s use and enjoyment of the Website;
- Obtain or attempt to obtain any material or information through any means not intentionally made available or provided for through the Website;
- Make available in any way any Content that is unlawful, harmful, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, discriminatory, vulgar, obscene, sexist, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, racially, ethnically, religiously or otherwise objectionable, threatening or violating legal rights including intellectual property rights;
- Harm minors in any way;
- Impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent their affiliation with a person or entity;
- Forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any content transmitted through Lawyher.pk;
- Make available in any way any Content that Members, Practitioners and Users do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships;
- Make available in any way any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party;
- Make available in any way any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, spam or chain letters;
- Make available in any way any Content that contains software viruses, corrupted files or any other computer code, files or programmes designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- Harvest or otherwise collect information about Members, Practitioners or Users, including email addresses, without their consent;
- Violate any code of conduct or other guidelines which may be applicable under the applicable laws or rules or this policy as updated from time to time or in the undertaking or on the Membership form for registration as a Member;
- Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law;
- Download, copy or use personal data for commercial purposes or for advertising;
- Transmit lists of Members or Practitioners, unless prior authorisation is duly provided by Lawyher.pk or without prior written consent of the Member and/or Practitioners whose names and information is so being transmitted;
- Members, Practitioners and Users acknowledge that, upon discovering any violation, Lawyher.pk shall have the right, immediately and without prior notice, to remove any Content that violates these Terms or is otherwise objectionable;
- pk further reserves the right to terminate access to the Website of any Member, Practitioner or User who violates these Terms and to take appropriate action against them under any law for the time being in force.
- Intellectual Property
The Website reserves all its intellectual property rights.
Lawyher.pk domain owner owns without limitation:
- All rights and interest in the Website;
- All material including illustrations, graphics, videos, texts, software, codes, data and materials, and the design and construction of the Website;
- All copyrights, trademark, patent, database, moral, and sui generis rights and other intellectual property and proprietary rights therein.
- The User’s use of the Website does not grant them any rights over any of Lawyher.pk’s rights.
- All names, company names, logos, service and/or trademarks mentioned, displayed, cited or otherwise indicated on the Website are the property of their respective owners.
- All articles, blog posts, or other contributions which are the original works of the User and copyrights in which belong to the User are the property of the respective owners.
- pk does not claim ownership of the Content posted on the Website by the User. The opinions and views expressed are of the User and the Website takes no responsibility for any claims arising from the Content.
- By posting, uploading, inputting, providing or submitting Content, the User grants Lawyher.pk permission to upload, download, edit, translate, process, reformat, reproduce, publish or otherwise use in our communications, said Content for Lawyher.pk and for its reports, studies or purposes otherwise associated with the objectives of increasing women’s representation in law.
- The User undertakes to abide by a mutual obligation to respect the intellectual property rights of other Users.
- Any Member or Practitioner found to have posted any Content in breach of a person’s intellectual property rights shall have their access, membership and/or profile revoked or suspended.
- If any User believes that their work has been copied in a way that infringes their intellectual property rights, they may forward the following information via the “Contact us” link to Us for appropriate action:
- The User’s address, telephone number and email address;
- A description of the protected work that the User’s claim has been infringed;
- A description of where the alleged infringing material is located;
- A statement by the User that they have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorised by the User, the holder of the intellectual property rights, its agent, or under any law for the time being in force;
- An electronic or physical signature of the person authorised to act on behalf of the holder of the intellectual property rights; and
- A statement by the User that the above information is accurate and that the User is the holder of the intellectual property rights or authorised to act on behalf of the holder of the intellectual property rights.
- Restriction of Liability
In no event shall Lawyher.pk or any of its patrons, implementing partners, domain owner, administration, operators, directors, officers, employees, agents, consultants, parents, affiliates, successors, assigns or service providers assume responsibility or be liable for any direct or indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, including but not limited to for any computer virus, loss of profits, alleged loss of credibility or damage to personal image, use, data or other intangible losses, or any other inconvenience resulting from or in connection with the use of or the inability to use the Website, reliance on the Website, or the Content, materials and functions related thereto, or any other matter relating to this Website, including, without limitation, any failure of performance, error, omission, interruption or defect.
Members, Practitioners, Partners and Users expressly understand and agree that Lawyher.pk shall in no way be liable to them under any circumstances. By agreeing to use the Website, Members, Practitioners, Partners and Users agree to defend, indemnify and hold Lawyher.pk, its operators, domain owner, officers, directors and employees harmless from any and all claims, liabilities, costs and expenses, including reasonable legal fees, arising in any way from the use of the Website or through it.
Lawyher.pk does not guarantee that the information and/or the material on its Website is free from software viruses or the like. Lawyher.pk assumes no responsibility or liability for direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of profit or any other inconvenience caused on account of any such viruses or the like.
The information on the Website shall in no event be considered or relied upon as legal advice.
No Lawyher.pk Member, Practitioner, Partner or User or any other person is authorised to represent Lawyher.pk or speak on behalf of Lawyher.pk unless expressly stated by Us in writing.
Hyperlinks to other websites are provided for convenience only.
These websites are not reviewed, controlled or examined by Lawyher.pk in any way and Lawyher.pk assumes no responsibility for the content, privacy policies and practices of any such linked sites, including without limitation, any additional links contained therein.
Lawyher.pk is not responsible for the privacy statements or any other content on websites outside of Lawyher.pk’s Website.
The hyperlinks do not imply Lawyher.pk’s endorsement of, or association with, the linked sites.
- Suspension and Maintenance of the Website
Lawyher.pk reserves the right, at any time and in its sole discretion, to suspend or stop in whole or in part the access to its Website, mainly for maintenance, operational requirements, or emergency cases.
Lawyher.pk also reserves the right, at any time and in its sole discretion, to delete or to modify any content related to management of the Website, especially for legal, technical or practical reasons.
Lawyher.pk shall incur no liability for such suspension or stoppage, which pursuant to paragraph 6 (Restriction of Liability) above, shall not give rise to any claims for damages or indemnities by any Member, Practitioner, Partner or User.
Lawyher.pk is committed to protecting and respecting the User’s privacy and complying with any data protection laws for the time being in force.
- Collection and Use of your Personal Data
Lawyher.pk collects information from Members, Practitioners and Users using this Website in the following circumstances:
- A person applies to become a member of Lawyher.pk and/or creates a public profile on the Website;
- Information is posted by Members, Practitioners and Users on the Website;
- Registrations for events;
- Improving the Website;
- Preventing Fraud;
- Processing any Users’ requests; and/or
- Otherwise as consented by the User by way of these Terms and conditions.
1.2 Membership Registration
The minimum information (hereinafter referred to as “Personal Information”) required for registering as a Member is:
- Full Name;
- Email Address;
- Contact Number;
- Year of Graduation;
- Undertaking and Consent.
1.3 Use of Personal Information
By using or providing the Personal Information on this Website, Lawyher.pk Members, Practitioners and Users understand and unambiguously consent to the collection, maintaining, processing and use of such information provided on and through the Website, for the sole purpose of administering Lawyher.pk’s membership, events and activities, and as otherwise set forth herein. The data from the Website is stored solely for this purpose.
1.4 Disclosure of information on Website
Members and Practitioners may create a public profile on the Website. If any User discloses personally identifiable information or personally sensitive data through Lawyher.pk, they assume responsibility for such disclosure as this information may be collected and used by others. The User also assumes responsibility for any comments or opinions posted on the Website and acknowledge that such information may be collected and used by others.
1.5 Sharing Personal Information
Registration lists for participation to events organised by or co-organised with Lawyher.pk may be created and shared with co-organisers for the sole purpose of managing the events. Users need not provide their personal information to navigate the Website. They may however provide their names and emails if they wish to receive alerts about Lawyher.pk events and news.
1.6 Permitted Disclosure
Lawyher.pk may only disclose the User’s Personal Information, without notice, provided that such action is necessary to:
- comply with any law for the time being in force or comply with any legal process served on Lawyher.pk relating to the Website;
- protect and defend the rights or property of Lawyher.pk; or,
- act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of the Members, Users or the public.
1.7 Rights of Members, Practitioners and Users
- The Members or Practitioners may request that their personal data be deleted from the Website, and the data required for membership is no longer available, such Member will lose their membership and the Practitioners, their public profile on the Website.
- Members and Practitioners may modify their data at any time or request Lawyher.pk to do so for them.
- Members and Practitioners may exercise these rights by sending a message to Lawyher.pk’s “Contact us” option through the Website or email at [email protected] .
1.8 IP Addresses
This Website does not collect any IP Addresses.
This Website does not collect or retain any information in the form of cookies.
Lawyher.pk is committed to offering a secure environment and to protecting the User’s privacy. Lawyher.pk has implemented technology and security policies and procedures, reasonably appropriate to the level of the data concerned, intended to reduce the risk of accidental destruction or loss, or the unauthorised disclosure of or access to information.
In the event that Lawyher.pk believes that the security of the User’s personal data on the Website may have been compromised, and in case of a real threat to the User’s privacy, Lawyher.pk will notify the User by email as promptly as possible under the circumstances, and to the extent that the User has provided a correct and current email address.
- Membership and Member Duties
- Members’ Registration
- Female law students, graduates, academics, counsels or practitioners wishing to become Members of Lawyher.pk may apply directly online under “Register” available in the toolbar at the top of the homepage, by completing the form and any other formalities required therein from time and time as may be determined by Lawyher.pk.
- Approval of membership is conditional upon fulfilling the conditions of these Terms and any undertaking or consent required on the form.
- Once the application is approved, Members may access their profile and the features available on the Website’s intranet. They must complete all fields in their profile including their contact details, languages spoken, fields of expertise, etc.
- pk reserves the right to approve or refuse a prospective Member, particularly, if the applicant is not a woman or is not a lawyer or a law student, or if they do not agree to Terms, Policy or any undertaking on the form etc.
- Personal Login Information
Registered Members shall keep their Personal Information up to date and the access to their profile secure.
- Members shall not provide any false personal information on the Website, or create an account for any other person without authorization from Lawyher.pk. If any information is found to be false, We reserve the right to take appropriate action against such Members in accordance with law.
- Members shall not create more than one Member account.
- If Lawyher.pk disables a Member’s account, the Member shall not create another one.
- If a Member selects an inappropriate username for any reason, including a potential trademark violation, Lawyher.pk will require the Member to change it, failing which the Member’s account may be deleted.
- Members’ Login Information must be kept confidential and may not be shared with any third party under any circumstances; if the Member shares Login Information with a personal assistant, the Member must ensure that said personal assistant complies with the same obligations of confidentiality and these Terms.
- Members must take appropriate security measures to maintain the confidentiality of the Login Information, they must log out before leaving their computer and close the Internet browser, especially when they are using a non-personal or public computer.
- Members must immediately change their Login Information in the event that their Login Information has been disclosed to an unauthorised person.
- Members must immediately inform Lawyher.pk if they become aware of or believe that their Login Information has been used by an unauthorised person.
- pk is not liable for any harm caused by or related to the theft, misappropriation, disclosure or unauthorised use of Members’ Login Information.
- Members’ and Practitioners’ Uploaded Data and Content
- Members and Practitioners are exclusively responsible for the information they include in their profile or subsequently modify. One of the purposes of the Website is to make Members’ and/or Practitioners professional profile available to the general public and to other practitioners in legal profession.
- Members, Practitioners and Users agree that all information, data, text, photographs, material, messages or other content, whether posted publicly or privately transmitted via the Website, are the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated. Lawyher.pk shall not be liable for any data or content that Members, Practitioners or Users upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available via the Website, including but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any data or content.
- By posting, uploading, inputting, providing or submitting material on Lawyher.pk’s Website, the User warrants and represents that the User owns or otherwise controls all of the rights on the material including, without limitation, all rights necessary for the User to provide, post, upload, input or submit the material, and that the usage, publication and posting of such data and content does not violate these Terms, does not breach any applicable laws or regulation and will not and could not violate any rights of, or cause or could cause injury to, any third person or entity.
- In case of any infringement to the above, the User, Member and/or Practitioner infringing these Terms shall be solely responsible.
- Jurisdiction and Choice of Law
- These Terms and the relationship between the Member, Practitioner or the User and Lawyher.pk shall be governed and interpreted in accordance with the laws of Pakistan.
- Any disputes arising out of or in connection with the use of the Website shall be first amicably settled.
- If no amicable settlement is reached after a period of 30 days, the courts of Pakistan, shall have exclusive jurisdiction over the dispute.
- For any question or comment, please post your message under “Contact us” or email us at [email protected]